Sunday, January 15, 2012

Peace and Quiet

I forgot to mention that last night when Owen and I went to have dinner with Dave we got food from a little BBQ place across the street.  They gave us a take-away menu and I noticed at the bottom of the menu it said, "Mad Viking's Smokehouse can cater your event, party, tailgater or WOW raid."  Hahahaha... It makes us nerdy for even knowing what that is but it was a good laugh and we needed that.  Why did we never think to cater raids?!

David had a pretty uneventful day since he was "grounded" until 5pm.  He had a quick meeting with the occupational therapist who said she wouldn't do anything with his upper body since she isn't supposed to get his heart rate up and then he had a meeting with the recreational therapist (what an awesome job!) It's a guy in a wheel chair with some obvious physical limitations who talks with patients about how to adapt to their new limitations so they can still participate in the activities they already enjoy and how to find new activities they might also enjoy.  Mostly the guy asked David a million questions about what he likes to do in his spare time and what our lifestyle was like before 2 weeks ago so he can help him devise a plan for how he wants life to be when he gets home.  He asked what D's goals are for when he leaves rehab.  I don't think he had thought of it in that way so it was good to get him making goals and planning again.  He's a planner!

  Normally when David is sick in bed he turns on a (disney) cartoon so I brought the laptop and we watched Tangled on Netflix.  I left around 2 and he slept until around 5!  Guess he was tired.  Muscle aches and valium can really wear you out!  When he woke up he said he felt much better and he's really looking forward to tomorrow when he can go to physical therapy again and he starts his radiation/chemo treatments.  What a strange thing to look forward to. He said it's a step towards fighting back.  His brother, who has done various chemo treatments for 3 years after being told he had 6 weeks to live, commented "fun".   I suppose it's not fun but it's a milestone that we were looking forward to because it means he's moving forward and not just stuck in bed like the last 2 weeks have kind of felt like.  Growing up I don't think David had a lot in common with his older brother, Chris.  It's too bad that this had to be their common ground but I hope David is just as stubborn as Chris in that regard.  Maybe they have two things in common.

Owen and I had a kick back kind of day.  His friend Josie put a bug in his ear about watching Dr Who so he spent a little time on Netflix catching a couple episodes of the newer series. When I told him it was time for bed he said, "But I'm watching sci-fi"  HA!  Before I know it Josie will have also convinced him to be interested in anime, she's already trying to figure out what character he could dress up as.  I don't know that he's going to go for that but stranger things have happened.

It also snowed today!  First snow of winter for us. It was only a dusting and it didn't last long but I'm hoping it doesn't pour down and cause any snow days because I'm kind of relying on routine right now.  Forecast says there's a possibility of 3-5 inches on the valley floor.  I'll believe it when I see it (I hope I don't see it).  I almost feel bad putting our indoor/outdoor cat, Freckles, outside like usual tonight but if I don't she'll wake me up at 4:00 am.  Not that I'm not up at that time anyway (having trouble sleeping) but I'd rather not have to get up to put her out if I can help it.  Good thing she put on that winter coat! 

I'm glad to report quiet "normal" things today and hope that can continue for the duration of rehab and treatments.  We anticipate that there will be ups and downs along the way but we're hoping for more ups than downs. 

Random side note:  His nurse really really looks like Madeleine Stowe.  Really!





No comments:

Post a Comment