Thursday, March 29, 2012

David's Big Adventure

David had chemo today. #3  I always want to capitalize that word, Chemo, maybe because it feels significant even though I suppose it's technically not supposed to be capitalized.  Transport was supposed to pick us up at 10:45 and we got kind of a late start (yay sleeping in) so at 10 the hospice nurse called and said that transport would be 10 minutes late.  That kind of stressed me out because the appointment was at 11:25 but whatever, nothing we could do about it.  I figured that gave me just enough extra time to take a quick shower... along with all the normal things like breakfast and getting David dressed (which takes a lot longer than one might thing), wrapping his legs in ace bandages to keep some of the swelling down, a few various personal care things that I'll spare you the details of...  I did everything except get him in the chair and then ran to take the worlds fastest shower.  I even turned on my flat iron because 25 minutes is more than enough time to get ready and do my hair!

So I get out of the shower and did a couple more things for David, got dressed and went to do my hair and... DING DONG!  Yup, transport wasn't late.  So Owen and I rushed to get Dave into the chair, my wet hair went into a ponytail and off we went.  Apparently the driver thought we were supposed to be picked up at 10:30 so by late he meant 10:45.... which was right on time.  Rock on. At least I got a shower, right?  Small favors.

Owen stayed home because hospitals are boring and Dave and I got chauffeured around in the big bus.  Scenic tour of the nearly flooded town from all the snow/rain/wind we've been having. Tim, Rose and a couple of their kids stopped in at the dr's office to say hi. Rose, Just for a second and Tim stayed during chemo so the boys could play with Tim's tablets.  After playing with Tim's ipad 3 for a while David decided he wants one.  I think it would be good for him and it's something else he can do while he's in bed.  He uses the laptop but it's kind of awkward and he's been wanting a tablet for a long time.  I want to be able to do this for him right now, his spirit has been a little low lately for a variety of reasons and I think being able to be more "normal" might help him.  He DID get to his for reals computer the other day (not the laptop) and while he couldn't stay there long it was nice for him to know it's an option.

After chemo Dave and I went to eat lunch in the cafeteria then we stopped into the ICU waiting area to see Tim and Rose and some of Ransom's other family.  He's doing fairly well from what we've heard.  It wasn't a good day to visit so we'll try him next time.  Hopefully he'll be out of the ICU by then so we can come by to annoy him in our old stomping grounds, the neuro floor!  So far as we know he's making progress that the dr is happy with and it's all kind of a waiting game.  I'm sure it's very difficult for him because he's conscious enough to act like he knows what's going on but no one is really sure exactly how much he comprehends at this point.  I wish we could be there more even if we can't go in the room with him.  It's more about being there to support his family that is supporting him.  His wife and daughters and sister barely go home, his step-son is here from Germany and other various family and friends have been there to show their love and support pretty much non-stop. 

Sunday our niece, Ariana, is moving in with us for spring term.  Aww, like a daughter I never had!  (p.s. I'm not old enough to have a 20 year old so it's like having a grown up daughter that I didn't have to deal with during the teen years, that kind of rocks! lol) We're happy to be able to help her out and we're glad that she has decided to take us up on the offer.  When David was about her age he lived with his sister and her husband for a while when he was going to school and it really helped him out, it's nice to be able to pay that forward.  That's what family is for, right? Oh, and a Harry Potter marathon is imminent!


No comments:

Post a Comment